Black beans are my very favourite bean, and this is my favourite black bean soup recipe. The lemon is the pièce de résistance (must be my Greek background). The best part: it's super-fiber-rich - about 14 grams per 1 mere cup!
1 tsp. olive oil1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
2 celery stalks
2 cups vegetable broth
1 can black beans or 2 cups dried black beans
juice of 1 lemon
pinch of nori
pinch of sea salt
freshly ground pepper
1. If you're using dried beans, soak them overnight and cook.
2. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil.
3. Chop all vegetables. Sautée garlic and onions in saucepan until soft. Add remaining vegetables and ½ cup of vegetable broth. Cook vegetables until soft.
4. Add the remaining broth and beans. Bring to a boil. When boiling, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for another 10 minutes.
5. In a blender, purée the soup in thirds. When puréed, pour back into saucepan. Stir in lemon juice, nori, sea salt and pepper and mix well.
Makes 4 main dishes and 6 side dishes.