Welcome

My name is Lisa Tsakos, Registered Holistic Nutritional Consultant, corporate speaker and author. This blog provides professional advice from a nutrition and weight loss expert (me!) about corporate and family health. Here you'll find recipes and articles that address work-related challenges like eating on-the-go and maximizing your productivity with the right foods. You'll also find out about how you can help your children develop strong immune systems and healthy bodies. As a nutrition instructor, I often found myself thinking, "When I have kids, this is how I will feed them." With two toddlers, I have the opportunity to practice what I have been preaching and to try out my theories. So far, they seem to be working! Follow me on my journey and also on Twitter @NuVitalityHW.

2 Mar 2012

Pink gluten-free first birthday party!





When Olivia's was born, the midwife remarked that she was 'deliciously pink,' and pink became her year 1 trademark; so for her first birthday, we decided to go with a pink theme. All the food, drinks, decor, and desserts were pink, and even the guests wore pink!


The menu was entirely gluten-free and made with all-natural ingredients - no artificial colors!




Mashed potatoes were 'dyed' pink by mixing in some beet juice. The salad had strawberries, red cabbage, and was tossed in a berry balsamic dressing. There was a shredded beet salad, pink salmon, and gluten-free pasta in a ricotta-tomato sauce.


Even the drinks were pink. We had sparkling water with pomegranate seeds, and strawberry/cranberry juice. 


























The two-layer birthday cake was made from Cherrybrook Kitchen's gluten-free vanilla mix and vanilla icing. Strawberry juice was added to the icing to make it - what else? - pink!


All in all, it was a very fun day, and most of the fun was coming up with creative ideas for the menu. 



If you're looking for some great snack and dessert ideas for your upcoming party, check out the new book, "UNJUNK YOUR JUNK FOOD, Healthier Alternatives to Conventional Snacks." Available everywhere now!